generic-police-lights.jpg

CALHOUN COUNTY – An 11-year-old girl has died and a man and woman are in critical condition on Thursday after police say they used a gas generator to power a kerosene heater inside a building in the City of Springfield.

Around 10:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 2nd, deputies from the Calhoun County Sheriffs Department where dispatched for a welfare check in the 700 Block of W Michigan Ave.

A citizen called 911 after noticing the building was without power, and could hear what sounded to be a gas generator inside the building.

Responding deputies were unable to make contact with the occupants.

A deputy was able to park his patrol vehicle where he could stand on it to see inside of the building. He spotted a young child and an adult male and female that appeared to be unconscious.

The Deputies then forced entry into the building and where able to remove the occupants to fresh air and administer first aid.

They were transported by ambulance to various hospitals for treatment.

Police say they found that a gas powered generator was being used to power a kerosene heater which created an extreme amount of carbon monoxide to accumulate within the building.

According to the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Department, the 11 year old female died while receiving treatment and the 44 year old male and 41 year old female are in critical condition.

The Sheriffs Department was assisted by the Battle Creek Police Department, Michigan State Police, Springfield Fire Department and Lifecare Ambulance.